In 1903 prominent Washingtonians William Corcoran Eustis and his wife, Edith Livingston Morton, purchased Oatlands. Married in 1900, the couple lived primarily in Georgetown, but longed for a country retreat. William, an avid equestrian and fox hunter, found Loudoun County ideally suited to his needs, while Edith, enchanted by the neglected gardens, was determined to return them to their former splendor.
As Edith stated in 1923, "...the Oatlands garden was falling into ruins; bricks were crumbling, weeds crowding the flowers and yet the very moss-grown paths seemed to say, "We are still what we were."'
The fact that Oatlands can still make that claim today, can be attributed to the loving care given to the property by the Eustis family. Their own "dear old Oatlands" remained the Eustis' beloved home for about sixty years.
When Mrs. Eustis passed away in 1964, her daughters, Margaret Eustis Finley and Anne Eustis Emmet, donated Oatlands House, its furnishings, and the surrounding 261 acres to the National Trust for Historic Preservation.
Today Oatlands is a self-supporting co-stewardship of the National Trust for Historic Preservation. The mission of Oatlands is to preserve the property for future generations, interpret the house and grounds to the public, and serve as an educational resource. The grounds also are available for special events and private functions.